So my birthday is coming up and this blog entry definitely parallels to what is on my mind!
I have been asked by numerous folks in regards to what I would like for my birthday, though ironically, the things I want this year are not materialistic things, so it is quite difficult giving a straight answer. I don't need more junk to lay around the house; things that are really meaningless if you think about it.. I mean do I really need another movie or shirt or electronic gadget?.. wait, on second thought....... just kidding! I don't want that stuff. I want people to be creative..what happened to creativity? Does it cease to exist? Since when did birthdays become a day for people to give others "things" that really have no real intrinsic value. It is so common for people to give others money and gift cards and common crap- but where is the REAL thought?
I want to see creativity and thought. I want something that took time.. and not just the time it took to stuff the card or pick something out.. I'm talking real minutes. Knit me a sweater, write me a poem, sing me a song, plan a picnic.. Guaranteed these insightful gifts will be the ones I remember- in comparison to the dvd's, cd's, shirts, pants, plants and money. If only people would step back and reflect that birthday's should not be about big materialistic wants, but the thoughts put into special gifts by the people that cherish us.
Now my little bees, I hope that when your birthdays come around, you aren't instantly drawn to the newest gadget and gizmos, but you step back and think about what you really want. It may not be what first comes to mind..
No comments:
Post a Comment